EAGLE Central Forums
Where the EAGLE community meets. Sponsored by Stratford Digital.

Home » CadSoft Support Forums » eagle.support.eng » Which file contains user settings for EAGLE?
Which file contains user settings for EAGLE? [message #171206] Tue, 08 August 2017 19:03 Go to next message
SMD111
Messages: 14
Registered: January 2011
Junior Member
I am upgrading from version 6.4 to 6.6 and would like to keep all looks, design rules, etc. exactly the same. What is the best way to do this?
Thank you,
Sergey

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
https://www.element14.com/community/message/226908
Re: Which file contains user settings for EAGLE? [message #171211 is a reply to message #171206] Wed, 09 August 2017 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joern Paschedag
Messages: 1455
Registered: August 2008
Senior Member
Am 08.08.2017 um 21:03 schrieb SMD111:
> I am upgrading from version 6.4 to 6.6 and would like to keep all looks, design rules, etc. exactly the same. What is the best way to do this?
> Thank you,
> Sergey
>
> --
> To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
> https://www.element14.com/community/message/226908
>

Hi Sergey,
there are 2 files to control eagle: the "eaglerc.usr" and the "eagle.scr".
The last named is in the "scr" subdirectory of eagle.
I don't know anymore where the "eaglerc-usr" is located, since I use
that file with the U-parameter in different directories. (I use
different versions of eagle, that's why ;-) )
Anyway you can save those files under a different name and replace the
files after installation of the new version.
My suggestion: Install 6.6 besides your 6.4 installation if you use
windows OS.
(Imo U-parameter works only with win)
Description can imo only be found somewhere in "update_eng.txt" located
in doc subdirectory:
"The new command line option '-U' can be used to define the LOCATION of
the 'eaglerc' file in which EAGLE stores user settings".
This is not quite correct, because you can also change the NAME of the
eaglerc.usr.
So my "eaglerc.usr" file for version 6.4.0 has the name "eaglerc-640.usr".

Remember that newer eagle files cannot be opened with older versions of
eagle and once you save an 6.4 file with 6.6 it IS converted.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

Joern Paschedag
Re: Which file contains user settings for EAGLE? [message #171231 is a reply to message #171211] Wed, 09 August 2017 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob Pearce
Messages: 484
Registered: September 2012
Senior Member
On 09/08/17 08:16, Joern Paschedag wrote:
> (Imo U-parameter works only with win)
No, works fine on Linux too. I use it on the machine with both V4 and V7.
Re: Which file contains user settings for EAGLE? [message #171240 is a reply to message #171231] Thu, 10 August 2017 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joern Paschedag
Messages: 1455
Registered: August 2008
Senior Member
Am 09.08.2017 um 21:24 schrieb Rob Pearce:
> On 09/08/17 08:16, Joern Paschedag wrote:
>> (Imo U-parameter works only with win)
> No, works fine on Linux too. I use it on the machine with both V4 and V7.
>

Ahh, so I learned something new ;-)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

Joern Paschedag
Re: Which file contains user settings for EAGLE? [message #171245 is a reply to message #171206] Thu, 10 August 2017 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SMD111
Messages: 14
Registered: January 2011
Junior Member
Thank you, Joern!

One more detail: you say "Remember that newer eagle files cannot be opened with older versions of
eagle and once you save an 6.4 file with 6.6 it IS converted."

I did a test installation of 6.6.0 on a separate laptop just to test the new version. I opened an 6.4.0 schematic, modified it a bit, and saved the file. Then I did the same for the board. I took the files to to my PC with the older version of EAGLE and tried to open them. It is true, the schematic does not open. However, the .brd file did open and I could see the modification I had made with the newer version.

So it looks like only the .sch files are not compatible.

Sergey

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
https://www.element14.com/community/message/227001
Re: Which file contains user settings for EAGLE? [message #171252 is a reply to message #171211] Thu, 10 August 2017 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SMD111
Messages: 14
Registered: January 2011
Junior Member
Hi Joern,
I cannot find eaglerc.usr file anywhere in the EAGLE 6.4.0 folder.
Neither it is present in the EAGLE 6.6.0 folder on another computer.

And the eagle.scr file is a text file that does not seem to contain many settings at all.

:(
Sergey

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
https://www.element14.com/community/message/227003
Re: Which file contains user settings for EAGLE? [message #171253 is a reply to message #171245] Thu, 10 August 2017 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joern Paschedag
Messages: 1455
Registered: August 2008
Senior Member
Am 10.08.2017 um 16:48 schrieb SMD111:
> Thank you, Joern!
>
> One more detail: you say "Remember that newer eagle files cannot be opened with older versions of
> eagle and once you save an 6.4 file with 6.6 it IS converted."
>
> I did a test installation of 6.6.0 on a separate laptop just to test the new version. I opened an 6.4.0 schematic, modified it a bit, and saved the file. Then I did the same for the board. I took the files to to my PC with the older version of EAGLE and tried to open them. It is true, the schematic does not open. However, the .brd file did open and I could see the modification I had made with the newer version.
>
> So it looks like only the .sch files are not compatible.
>
> Sergey
>
> --
> To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
> https://www.element14.com/community/message/227001
>

Sorry I wasn't quite clear and mixed something up. :-( (blush)
Within the main versions (6.x.x; 5.x.x; 7.x.x) there is actually no
problem. What I meant is if you save something with version 7.x.x i.e.
and try to open it with version 6.x.x or lower.

Actually your *.sch should not give any trouble...

But it's good that you tested it ;-)
Just give it another try to be sure.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

Joern Paschedag
Re: Which file contains user settings for EAGLE? [message #171254 is a reply to message #171252] Thu, 10 August 2017 16:57 Go to previous message
Joern Paschedag
Messages: 1455
Registered: August 2008
Senior Member
Am 10.08.2017 um 18:26 schrieb SMD111:
> Hi Joern,
> I cannot find eaglerc.usr file anywhere in the EAGLE 6.4.0 folder.
> Neither it is present in the EAGLE 6.6.0 folder on another computer.
>
> And the eagle.scr file is a text file that does not seem to contain many settings at all.
>
> :(
> Sergey
>
> --
> To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
> https://www.element14.com/community/message/227003
>

Hi Sergey,
if you haven't edited your eagle.scr file it is the standard coming with
eagle.

The eaglerc.usr is most likely in in your user directory that might be:
(system drive lets say C:) /user / your name / AppData / Roaming /
Cadsoft / Eagle /eaglerc.usr

If you can't find it scan the whole computer and/or login as admin.

This is one of the reasons that I use the U-parameter and store the file
in a subdirectory of the corresponding eagle version.
If you just install a new version that place C:( user etc.. will be
overridden.

F:\EAGLE-6.6.0\bin\eagle.exe -U F:\Eagle-6.6.0\eaglerc-660.usr

This is an example that will store the eaglerc.usr (named-600) in the
eagle main directory of version 6.6.0


--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

Joern Paschedag
Previous Topic: No way to use alt grid in route command in Eagle 8.2.2
Next Topic: Don`t Remember the Eagle Grid setting
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Sep 22 02:36:53 GMT 2017