EAGLE Central Forums
Where the EAGLE community meets. Sponsored by Stratford Digital.

Home » CadSoft Support Forums » eagle.support.eng » DesignLink: Getting Started?
DesignLink: Getting Started? [message #170354] Tue, 02 May 2017 13:10 Go to next message
Martin Rowe
Messages: 7
Registered: January 2016
Junior Member
Just clicking on the Button is getting me nowhere!
Can I have some introductory guidance, please.
Some (but not all - I''l see if I get any answers before typing them all out here) puzzles:
1. search criteria? Why does "2R2 0805" bring up anything with "2R2" in it? Not just the SMD size 0805?
2. Is the BOM that DesignLink produces, project specific? It seems that I have the same order code for projects with different packages (DIP/SOP)
3. How do I clear all DesignLink cache?

Regards, Martin

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
https://www.element14.com/community/message/221562
Re: DesignLink: Getting Started? [message #170377 is a reply to message #170354] Wed, 03 May 2017 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorge Garcia
Messages: 1294
Registered: April 2010
Senior Member
On 5/2/2017 9:10 AM, Martin Rowe wrote:
> Just clicking on the Button is getting me nowhere!
> Can I have some introductory guidance, please.
> Some (but not all - I''l see if I get any answers before typing them all out here) puzzles:
> 1. search criteria? Why does "2R2 0805" bring up anything with "2R2" in it? Not just the SMD size 0805?
> 2. Is the BOM that DesignLink produces, project specific? It seems that I have the same order code for projects with different packages (DIP/SOP)
> 3. How do I clear all DesignLink cache?
>
> Regards, Martin
>
> --
> To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
> https://www.element14.com/community/message/221562
>
Hello Martin,

I hope you're doing well. Designlink sends the search string to the
Farnell servers and the search is performed there. It tends to
generalize the search, sometimes I'll actually put the word resistor in
the string to avoid some of the other stuff popping up in the results.

The BOM that is produced is project specific. When you save the codes to
your design, Designlink writes all of the attributes to each of the
symbols in your design. If you wanted to start fresh you would have to
delete all of the attributes from all of your components. You could also
adjust the bom through the designlink tool itself which is what I would
recommend to do.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia

--
We have a new forum here <http://forums.autodesk.com>
Re: DesignLink: Getting Started? [message #170378 is a reply to message #170377] Wed, 03 May 2017 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Rowe
Messages: 7
Registered: January 2016
Junior Member
Thank you Jorge,

I still don't understand the search process. What is my criteria being matched with at the Farnell end?
If I enter something simple like "1k0 0805", I get back this:
[Screenshot_20170503_215520.png]
Now, I only want the 0805 SMDs, so why am I getting all the otherĀ  size SMDs?
Is the order relevant, if I enter "0805 1k0", I get different results?
Likewise for case?????

What are the rules?

Regards, Martin

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
https://www.element14.com/community/message/221600
Re: DesignLink: Getting Started? [message #170413 is a reply to message #170378] Tue, 09 May 2017 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorge Garcia
Messages: 1294
Registered: April 2010
Senior Member
On 5/3/2017 5:02 PM, Martin Rowe wrote:
> Thank you Jorge,
>
> I still don't understand the search process. What is my criteria being matched with at the Farnell end?
> If I enter something simple like "1k0 0805", I get back this:
> [Screenshot_20170503_215520.png]
> Now, I only want the 0805 SMDs, so why am I getting all the other size SMDs?
> Is the order relevant, if I enter "0805 1k0", I get different results?
> Likewise for case?????
>
> What are the rules?
>
> Regards, Martin
>
> --
> To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
> https://www.element14.com/community/message/221600
>

Hi Martin,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. That is a very good
question, unfortunately we don't have any info on how Farnell's internal
search works. What I usually do is write something like:

1K ohm 0805 resistor

I still get some irrelevant results but most of what comes back is useful.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia

--
We have a new forum here <http://forums.autodesk.com>
Re: DesignLink: Getting Started? [message #170417 is a reply to message #170413] Wed, 10 May 2017 06:58 Go to previous message
rachaelp
Messages: 583
Registered: March 2015
Location: UK
Senior Member
Hi Martin,

It's probably worth noting that there are currently some search related issues on the Farnell sites which are making the search results less useful than normal. This will be having a knock on effect with DesignLink so the problems you are seeing aren't an EAGLE issue. There is a thread on Element14 relating to this and the support staff there have made the developers aware that they've got an issue and I believe they are working to get things sorted. Hopefully once they have, and with the addition of the search tips Jorge has given, you should be able to get it to work a little better.

Best Regards,

Rachael
Previous Topic: Separating signals - shorts.lbr
Next Topic: label of supply symbols
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Jul 28 19:00:09 GMT 2017