EAGLE Central Forums
Where the EAGLE community meets. Sponsored by Stratford Digital.

Home » CadSoft Support Forums » eagle.support.eng » V8 Overlapping parts
V8 Overlapping parts [message #168704] Fri, 20 January 2017 03:30 Go to next message
Glenn Jones
Messages: 77
Registered: January 2005
Member
With Eagle V7 and below one could select a part and then use the mouse
or pop up menu to select the next overlapping part.

I am not seeing that option any longer? There is no Next on the menu for
example.

Glenn
Re: V8 Overlapping parts [message #168720 is a reply to message #168704] Fri, 20 January 2017 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rachaelp
Messages: 604
Registered: March 2015
Location: UK
Senior Member
I've just tested out and can confirm that I no longer see the "next" option so if I have things which are close to each other and the wrong thing selects I don't seem to be able to get to the next selection option.... Is this an unforeseen consequence of the new selection mechanism? I'm sure removal of this is unintentional....
Re: V8 Overlapping parts [message #168725 is a reply to message #168720] Fri, 20 January 2017 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shabaz
Messages: 188
Registered: October 2012
Senior Member
I think it must be unintentional too, the help file in v8 still states that the feature exists.

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
https://www.element14.com/community/message/213574
Re: V8 Overlapping parts [message #168753 is a reply to message #168725] Fri, 20 January 2017 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorge Garcia
Messages: 1294
Registered: April 2010
Senior Member
On 1/20/2017 6:55 AM, shabaz wrote:
> I think it must be unintentional too, the help file in v8 still states that the feature exists.
>
> --
> To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
> https://www.element14.com/community/message/213574
>

Hi Guys,

If you are using the new group selection mode, the cycle selection is
done by holding down alt and then left-clicking mutliple times to cycle
through the nearby items. The last one selected gets added to the group.

Let me know if that works for you.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia
Re: V8 Overlapping parts [message #168754 is a reply to message #168753] Fri, 20 January 2017 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rachaelp
Messages: 604
Registered: March 2015
Location: UK
Senior Member
Jorge Garcia wrote on Fri, 20 January 2017 19:19
If you are using the new group selection mode, the cycle selection is done by holding down alt and then left-clicking mutliple times to cycle through the nearby items. The last one selected gets added to the group.

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for the advice, I've just tried it but unfortunately it's not reliable for me. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. This is on my MacBook. I've not tried on any other OS.

Best Regards,

Rachael
Re: V8 Overlapping parts [message #168755 is a reply to message #168753] Fri, 20 January 2017 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shabaz
Messages: 188
Registered: October 2012
Senior Member
Hi Jorge,

Ah, I see. I went to Options->Set->Misc and unchecked "Group command default on" and now the behaviour is close to the
older EAGLE versions (except Esc needs to be pressed twice to exit out of the group selection white wire).
Mabe as a future idea it could be possible to swap it around, so that the select works like before, unless Alt is pressed, in which case
it does the polygon group select thing, because although the polygon select is nice, it is more rare to want to do that.
Anyway, it is good that by unchecking I'm almost close to the original method.
I'll spend some time reading about the features, so that I'm better prepared. I just loaded an old design into v8, to check it would
load fine, and still need to experiment.
Thanks for investigating!

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
https://www.element14.com/community/message/213650
Re: V8 Overlapping parts [message #168763 is a reply to message #168754] Fri, 20 January 2017 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorge Garcia
Messages: 1294
Registered: April 2010
Senior Member
On 1/20/2017 2:47 PM, Rachael wrote:
> Jorge Garcia wrote on Fri, 20 January 2017 19:19
>> If you are using the new group selection mode, the cycle selection is
>> done by holding down alt and then left-clicking mutliple times to cycle
>> through the nearby items. The last one selected gets added to the group.
>
> Hi Jorge,
>
> Thanks for the advice, I've just tried it but unfortunately it's not
> reliable for me. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. This is on my
> MacBook. I've not tried on any other OS.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Rachael

Hi Rachael,

Under the new group mode, the catch factor radius is much smaller so you
really have to be directly on top of the two intersecting objects for
the alt+left-click to work.

If you are using a trackpad it's very likely the gestures won't work.
Are you using a mouse?

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia
Re: V8 Overlapping parts [message #168778 is a reply to message #168763] Sat, 21 January 2017 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rachaelp
Messages: 604
Registered: March 2015
Location: UK
Senior Member
Hi Jorge,

I previously tried it on the MacBook Pro and I was using the trackpad. I have just loaded it up on my iMac which uses a proper mouse and it still doesn't work reliably for me. Unfortunately this makes selecting the right thing in an area with dense routing quite problematic. If I do as Shabaz suggested above and turn off the "Group command default on" setting then it's back to being usable with the right click scrolling through the selection options. In principal the new group select function is really cool and testing it out I liked it, but as it breaks other fundamental functionality for me when it is enabled it will unfortunately have to be turned off on my machines so I won't benefit from it.

Best Regards,

Rachael

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
https://www.element14.com/community/message/213721
Re: V8 Overlapping parts [message #168870 is a reply to message #168778] Mon, 23 January 2017 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorge Garcia
Messages: 1294
Registered: April 2010
Senior Member
On 1/21/2017 4:21 AM, rachaelp wrote:
> Hi Jorge,
>
> I previously tried it on the MacBook Pro and I was using the trackpad. I have just loaded it up on my iMac which uses a proper mouse and it still doesn't work reliably for me. Unfortunately this makes selecting the right thing in an area with dense routing quite problematic. If I do as Shabaz suggested above and turn off the "Group command default on" setting then it's back to being usable with the right click scrolling through the selection options. In principal the new group select function is really cool and testing it out I liked it, but as it breaks other fundamental functionality for me when it is enabled it will unfortunately have to be turned off on my machines so I won't benefit from it.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Rachael
>
> --
> To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
> https://www.element14.com/community/message/213721
>

Hi Rachael,

I hope you're doing well. This needs to be investigated further, when
you have a chance could you make a video showing me what you see. I'm up
to my neck in forums I need to answer.

Or if you want e-mail me directly. If this is real I want to see if I
can make the developers aware of it in time to get a fix in the next update.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia
Autodesk Support
Re: V8 Overlapping parts [message #168898 is a reply to message #168870] Tue, 24 January 2017 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rachaelp
Messages: 604
Registered: March 2015
Location: UK
Senior Member
Hi Jorge,

I'll try and get a small video of the issue done this evening. I'll email a link over to you.

Many thanks,

Rachael
Re: V8 Overlapping parts [message #168902 is a reply to message #168898] Tue, 24 January 2017 16:24 Go to previous message
rachaelp
Messages: 604
Registered: March 2015
Location: UK
Senior Member
Hi Jorge,

I just tried this on my MacBook Pro and it's working fine on the track pad now..... The only thing is I did have EAGLE crash and quit itself while testing this out. I have tried to replicate the crash but as yet I can't get it to crash again. I will continue to see if I can replicate this issue. I'll also try on the iMac later and see if the original issue can be replicated for a video.

Best Regards,

Rachael

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
https://www.element14.com/community/message/214083
Previous Topic: V8: Where are the classic icons?
Next Topic: Documentation in Eagle V8
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Sep 21 03:09:25 GMT 2017