EAGLE Central Forums
Where the EAGLE community meets. Sponsored by Stratford Digital.

Home » CadSoft Support Forums » eagle.suggest.eng » locking layers
locking layers [message #165433] Thu, 14 April 2016 12:34 Go to next message
zainka
Messages: 67
Registered: March 2011
Member
It should be possible to lock an entire layer from being affected by the
move or group command.
This could be an checkbox in the Layer window where the layer name is
set.

Very usefull for dimension layer and layers used to import DXFs. It is
nice to have them visible without group/move commands affecting their
content

There are some issues though.
* A component that has parts spread over several layers, gets locked if
one of the used layer is locked
* A component that was locked by the "normal" lock command must remain
locked after a locked layer is unlocked (i.e. code must allow and check
for both)

The normal locked feature should be rewritten so that other objects than
components should be able to be locked
One could then lock polygons as-well from the properties window. Or
lines and other objects than only components..

Also, a new command should be added, which when selected, shows all
locked elements as a list with a dedicated checkbox to unlock and a
button to activate "unlock selected"

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
https://www.element14.com/community/message/194674
Re: locking layers [message #165438 is a reply to message #165433] Thu, 14 April 2016 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Morten Leikvoll
Messages: 1343
Registered: November 2007
Senior Member
On 14.04.2016 14:34, vidar vidnes wrote:
> It should be possible to lock an entire layer from being affected by the
> move or group command.
> This could be an checkbox in the Layer window where the layer name is
> set.
>
> Very usefull for dimension layer and layers used to import DXFs. It is
> nice to have them visible without group/move commands affecting their
> content

If the layer is not visible, it will not be selected. You can use that.

>
> There are some issues though.
> * A component that has parts spread over several layers, gets locked if
> one of the used layer is locked
> * A component that was locked by the "normal" lock command must remain
> locked after a locked layer is unlocked (i.e. code must allow and check
> for both)

No, a component can only be on the t/bOrigin layers, and can only be
moved (as a whole) if those layers are on.


> The normal locked feature should be rewritten so that other objects than
> components should be able to be locked
> One could then lock polygons as-well from the properties window. Or
> lines and other objects than only components..

Sometimes it could be nice to lock primitives yes, but I've always found
a way around it. Learning how to cherry-pick group items using shift and
ctrl is a must.

> Also, a new command should be added, which when selected, shows all
> locked elements as a list with a dedicated checkbox to unlock and a
> button to activate "unlock selected"

Now thats a relatively easy job for an ULP..
Re: locking layers [message #165447 is a reply to message #165438] Thu, 14 April 2016 15:18 Go to previous message
zainka
Messages: 67
Registered: March 2011
Member
> If the layer is not visible, it will not be selected. You can use
> that.
Better to lock down than to constantly turning on and off layers. Less
clicks.

> Sometimes it could be nice to lock primitives yes, but I've always
> found
> a way around it. Learning how to cherry-pick group items using shift
> and
> ctrl is a must.
Finding a way around might give you some sense of mastering the sw, but
to have things designed for simplicity is a better and more economic
solution. I have been cherry picking for quite some years now and know
my way around theĀ  Eagle controls but living for workarounds is no life.

> Now thats a relatively easy job for an ULP..
Yes, and I have been thinking of writing one too, but then again. if the
locking feature is added its better to have this feature as a part of
the whole too. I was also thinking of adding access to such an ulp as a
user button.

> No, a component can only be on the t/bOrigin layers, and can only be
>
> moved (as a whole) if those layers are on.
Not sure what you mean here, but most components got information on
layers like pads, Cream/Stop/Name etcetras,
Its the origin, or grab point, for a component that is found on the
Origin layers. Of course you cant grab it if its turned off, but that
was not my concern. The problem I thought off was what would happen if
you had locked down the tCream layer, as an example, and wanted to move
that component. Then again this could be solved simply by letting the
lock down function only affect objects that is not part of a library.
Eagle already differs on these objects and they have an locking feature
built inn for components.

My suggestion is that there should be a lock feature for other objects
too and preferably for a layer as a whole (for none library objects).
Relaying on workarounds is no way to go for a serious program.

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
https://www.element14.com/community/message/194708
Previous Topic: Enhancement to bus command
Next Topic: Feature request for physical design reuse capability in the board editor
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Apr 27 14:49:52 GMT 2017