EAGLE Central Forums
Where the EAGLE community meets. Sponsored by Stratford Digital.

Home » CadSoft Support Forums » eagle.announce.eng » EAGLE version 7.5 released!
EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164140] Tue, 17 November 2015 12:02 Go to next message
Walter Spermann
Messages: 540
Registered: August 2010
Senior Member
A new version of EAGLE is now available for download at

http://www.cadsoft.de/download.htm

The changes since the previous version are:

* EAGLE Editions:

- The EAGLE Freeware edition now starts with a temporary advertisement window
and the Control Panel has got an advertisement section.
- For the EAGLE Light edition (both Freeware and Commercial) the number of
available schematic sheets has been increased to 2.

* GUI:

- Now the icons in EAGLE are scalable (see Options menu in Control Panel).
The icons are in SVG format and stored in folder 'icons' under the bin folder.
The classic set of EAGLE icons is not available in SVG format and therefore
not scalable.
- Added highlighting of the current group if starting GROUP command.
- Added tool tips to the DRC/ERC error list containing the error descriptions.

* ULPs:

- Update of various ULPs integrated into EAGLE's editors:
- In the Board editor under File/Export the entries 'Unidat' (unidat.ulp) and
'DIF4.0' (dif40.ulp) have been taken out. An entry 'Mount SMD' has been added
(starting mountsmd.ulp).
- In the Board editor under File/Import the entry 'Ultiboard'
(import-ultiboard-ddf.ulp) has been taken out. The new entries 'DXF' and
'Gerber' have been added, executing import-dxf.ulp resp. import-gerber.ulp.
The Gerber import is a new functionality.
Import of DXF is available in the Schematic editor as well.
- In the Board editor under Tools the new entries 'Element array placement'
(new component-array.ulp) and 'Mirror board' (mirror-board.ulp) have been
added.
- In the Library editor there is now File/Import with entry 'BSDL', starting
make-symbol-device-package-bsdl.ulp.

* Miscellaneous:

- Extension of proxy settings by an optional username and password.
Saving of the password is also optional and in an encrypted form.
See Help/Check for Update/Configure in Control Panel.
- Added a special DRC error for intersecting signal polygons with same rank.
- Workaround for Linux 64 bit, because Red Hat (RHEL 6.6) is not
yet providing an up-to-date GLIBC library.
- Implementation of a basic file locking mechanism: by default any files
that are loaded into an EAGLE editor are locked, i.e. not available for
writing by other EAGLE instances. Locked files are reported to the user.
He can retry getting the file, save under a different name, continue editing
without saving or break the lock. The locking can be switched off
which is saved in eaglerc user settings.
- Added a new set of schematics, boards and libraries from 3rd party 'seeed'.
The libraries are in a directory 'seeed' under the library folder, the
schematics and boards in examples/'seeed' under the projects folder.
See also www.seeed.cc.

* Bugfixes:

- Fix for not searchable PDF printings on MAC.
- Fix to avoid intensive network traffic caused by GUI elements of the
autorouter.
- Fixed unusable confirm dialog in CAM processor; under special conditions
it could be blocked by the progress dialog.
- Fix for wrong display of mirrored texts in package previews.
- Fixed handling of vias if reselecting a differential pair for routing.
- If starting the autorouter, the TopRouter is now checking whether
the board is already routed completely.
- Made image export to TIFF format work again. There was a regression in V7.3.
- Restored V6 behavior for designs w/o hierarchy if combining or renaming
net segments, which could cause unnecessary ripups.
- Now 64 colors of all palettes are initialized.
- Correction of the number of available layers for 'Make Personal' edition
from 4 to 6.
- Keeping order of 'SET CONTEXT' commands if displaying the context menu.
- Avoiding a crash on Mac if closing a drawing window with Command(Apple)-W
immediately after loading a board and schematic pair and restoring the
minimized partner.

--
---------------------------------------------------------------
Walter Spermann
Software Development
CadSoft Computer GmbH
Pleidolfweg 15
84568 Pleiskirchen
Tel.: 08635/6989-10
www.cadsoft.de
---------------------------------------------------------------
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Traunstein HRB 5573
Geschäftsführer: Mark Whiteling
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164144 is a reply to message #164140] Tue, 17 November 2015 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Markus Rudolf
Messages: 181
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On 17.11.2015 13:02, Walter.Spermann@cadsoft.de wrote:

> - The EAGLE Freeware edition now starts with a temporary
> advertisement window
> and the Control Panel has got an advertisement section.

Long awaited feature, really a big step forward... ;-)
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164149 is a reply to message #164144] Tue, 17 November 2015 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Ellison
Messages: 74
Registered: November 2013
Member
Really is a shame to see advertising creeping into what should be
positioned as a professional product.
As if the 80x100 board limitation wasn't enough.

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/166941
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164163 is a reply to message #164140] Wed, 18 November 2015 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bas Withagen
Messages: 1
Registered: November 2015
Junior Member
And another nice feature:
AVG antivirus detects a threat on eagle.exe as soon as it is extracted.
link to thread page
( http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/ww-en/virus-and-malware-information/content/ge neric-virus/?name=IDP.ARES.Generic&utm_source=TDPU&utm_medium=IDP&a mp;PRTYPE=AVF)

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/167025
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164168 is a reply to message #164163] Wed, 18 November 2015 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Ellison
Messages: 74
Registered: November 2013
Member
> *What does IDP ARES Generic do?*
>
> If determined to be malware, actions can include:
>
>
>
> - Stealing hard disk space and memory, slowing down or completing
> stopping the PC
>
> - Corrupting or deleting data
>
> - Compromising the entire system by providing remote access to hackers
>

Sounds an awful lot like Windows. ;)

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/167047
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164173 is a reply to message #164163] Wed, 18 November 2015 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorge Garcia
Messages: 1285
Registered: April 2010
Senior Member
On 11/18/2015 10:16 AM, Bas Withagen wrote:
> And another nice feature:
> AVG antivirus detects a threat on eagle.exe as soon as it is extracted.
> link to thread page
> ( http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/ww-en/virus-and-malware-information/content/ge neric-virus/?name=IDP.ARES.Generic&utm_source=TDPU&utm_medium=IDP&a mp;PRTYPE=AVF)
>
> --
> To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
> http://www.element14.com/community/message/167025
>
Hello Bas,

This isn't surprising. Kaspersky Anti-Virus used to also detect EAGLE as
a threat, for whatever reason. I don't know if they still do but I know
for a long time that was a pain.

It's total hogwash and can be safely ignored.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164174 is a reply to message #164149] Wed, 18 November 2015 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorge Garcia
Messages: 1285
Registered: April 2010
Senior Member
On 11/17/2015 12:50 PM, Paul Ellison wrote:
> Really is a shame to see advertising creeping into what should be
> positioned as a professional product.
> As if the 80x100 board limitation wasn't enough.
>
> --

Hi Paul,

Nice to hear from you again, I hope you're doing well. It's actually
pretty mild compared to what could have happened.

First and foremost, this only applies to the Freeware. All other
licenses including the 30 day trial will work as normal with no popup or
anything. So if you have paid for EAGLE, you will not see any trace of this.

Second, we don't want these to just be Ads. The idea here is that they
will provide some useful information as well. So we will be vetting them
to make sure there's some signal in the noise. ;)

Third, The main popup can be closed after which there will be a small
section at the bottom left of the control panel with some info. In other
words, there's none of this on any of the editors.

Like I said, compared to what it could've been I'm fairly at peace with it.

hth,
Jorge Garcia
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164183 is a reply to message #164174] Thu, 19 November 2015 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joern Paschedag
Messages: 1425
Registered: August 2008
Senior Member
Am 18.11.2015 um 21:15 schrieb Jorge Garcia:
> On 11/17/2015 12:50 PM, Paul Ellison wrote:
>> Really is a shame to see advertising creeping into what should be
>> positioned as a professional product.
>> As if the 80x100 board limitation wasn't enough.
>>
>> --
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Nice to hear from you again, I hope you're doing well. It's actually
> pretty mild compared to what could have happened.
>
> First and foremost, this only applies to the Freeware. All other
> licenses including the 30 day trial will work as normal with no popup or
> anything. So if you have paid for EAGLE, you will not see any trace of
> this.
>
> Second, we don't want these to just be Ads. The idea here is that they
> will provide some useful information as well. So we will be vetting them
> to make sure there's some signal in the noise. ;)
>
> Third, The main popup can be closed after which there will be a small
> section at the bottom left of the control panel with some info. In other
> words, there's none of this on any of the editors.
>
>
>
> hth,
> Jorge Garcia
>

Hi Jorge.

"Like I said, compared to what it could've been I'm fairly at peace with
it."

Well I'm not!

I have not upgraded to eagle 7.x yet and as it seams I never will.
Of course I check the new versions to see what kind of improvements
have been made
and since I don't have a license for 7.x I use the freeware.

It is then rather "nice" to see an advertisement popping up and next
thought is what other kind of shit is going to happen in future.
Like the boastfully advertisement of so called features of a half ready
"hierarchical design" for example?

IMHO a user has checked the cadsoft internet presence with whatever
advertisements are there, but once he has selected what he wants this
kind of nonsense should stop.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

Joern Paschedag
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164188 is a reply to message #164183] Thu, 19 November 2015 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rk
Messages: 386
Registered: February 2005
Senior Member
Am 19.11.2015 um 10:55 schrieb Joern Paschedag:
> Well I'm not!

Same here, especially after all the whining about missing manpower. Low
priority on all important things, but high priority in turning EAGLE
into ad-ware. Thank you very much.

Rene
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164191 is a reply to message #164183] Thu, 19 November 2015 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorge Garcia
Messages: 1285
Registered: April 2010
Senior Member
> It is then rather "nice" to see an advertisement popping up and next
> thought is what other kind of shit is going to happen in future.
> Like the boastfully advertisement of so called features of a half ready
> "hierarchical design" for example?
>
> IMHO a user has checked the cadsoft internet presence with whatever
> advertisements are there, but once he has selected what he wants this
> kind of nonsense should stop.

It does stop, like I mentioned in my post the freeware is the only
version that has this all other licenses have no trace of it.
Additionally and I forgot to mention this in my original reply the
freeware was bumped up to 2 schematic sheets instead of one.

No one likes this type of stuff, except high-level executives. The devs
hate it with a passion, but it's not their call or mine.

I'm grateful it's not as bad as other tools I've seen.

hth,
Jorge Garcia
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164192 is a reply to message #164188] Thu, 19 November 2015 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorge Garcia
Messages: 1285
Registered: April 2010
Senior Member
> Same here, especially after all the whining about missing manpower. Low
> priority on all important things, but high priority in turning EAGLE
> into ad-ware. Thank you very much.

Hi Rene,

Like most evil things, that splash screen was very easy to execute from
what I hear. Like one hour's worth of work or something like that. ;)

If you think about it, it's just one widget that shows up when EAGLE
starts and it's then easy to close.

In any case, I have that tranquility that if things start to go south(Ie
V7 release fiasco) it will be removed just like last time.

On a brighter note, things seem to be better organized for V8 and I'm
hoping for a much more substantial release than what V7 was. It's still
not due for a good while but, let's see what happens.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164196 is a reply to message #164192] Thu, 19 November 2015 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Markus Rudolf
Messages: 181
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On 19.11.2015 18:04, Jorge Garcia wrote:

> On a brighter note, things seem to be better organized for V8 and I'm
> hoping for a much more substantial release than what V7 was. It's still
> not due for a good while but, let's see what happens.

So that means pay again for finally having the features promised for V7
working as intended?

Markus
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164198 is a reply to message #164196] Thu, 19 November 2015 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorge Garcia
Messages: 1285
Registered: April 2010
Senior Member
> So that means pay again for finally having the features promised for V7
> working as intended?
>
> Markus
>

Hi Markus,

As far as I remember V7 was a pretty lean release. It was new licensing,
improved autorouter, and hierarchy. We both know how licensing panned
out. The autorouter IMO did deliver a strong upgrade with multi-core
processing and the TopRouter algorithm. Then we have hierarchy which was
50% of the way there.

I think all we are missing as far as what was promised in V7 is
concerned is finishing hierarchy. Then we have the long list of other
requests to work on. V8 will have new stuff, hopefully lots of new stuff
that addresses the more important long term requests of our users.

It's still too far out to make a determination. We'll see what happens.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164199 is a reply to message #164173] Thu, 19 November 2015 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Morrison
Messages: 1129
Registered: November 2004
Senior Member

Jorge Garcia wrote on Wed, 18 November 2015 15:05
On 11/18/2015 10:16 AM, Bas Withagen wrote:
> And another nice feature:
> AVG antivirus detects a threat on eagle.exe as soon as it is extracted.
> link to thread page
> ( http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/ww-en/virus-and-malware-information/content/ge neric-virus/?name=IDP.ARES.Generic&utm_source=TDPU&utm_medium=IDP&a mp;a mp;PRTYPE=AVF)
>
> --
> To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
> http://www.element14.com/community/message/167025
>
Hello Bas,

This isn't surprising. Kaspersky Anti-Virus used to also detect EAGLE as
a threat, for whatever reason. I don't know if they still do but I know
for a long time that was a pain.

It's total hogwash and can be safely ignored.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia


Let's not forget that V6 really wasn't finished either. One of the great features in V6 was differential trace routing. What is implemented is only sufficient for 2- or 4-layer boards, and then barely. You can make it work but there are a lot of workarounds.

For multi-layer boards you need to be able to specify separate pair geometry on different layers. And you should be able to specify how much clearance is needed from each diff pair to ensure that something close by doesn't couple in. Bonus points for a distance where you're allowed to break the clearance since a via won't couple in the same as a long, parallel trace.

Until that is fixed V6 is not complete in my view. Then CadSoft should worry about fixing hierarchy.

James.


James Morrison ~~~ Stratford Digital
http://www.stratforddigital.ca
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164200 is a reply to message #164198] Fri, 20 November 2015 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rk
Messages: 386
Registered: February 2005
Senior Member
Am 20.11.2015 um 00:28 schrieb Jorge Garcia:
> out. The autorouter IMO did deliver a strong upgrade with multi-core
> processing and the TopRouter algorithm. Then we have hierarchy which was

This "multi-core processing" does not save you any time! The router
itself is the same as it ever was and utilizes one core only, as far as
I can see. Yes, you can run the autorouter with different parameters
simultaneously. But why why why should you do this?

And the new TopRouter does not get the job done, look at your own videos
for a demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TkJ6QLPL_Y

All you did is hardening the autorouter's usage. This "strong upgrade"
is nothing more than marketing fluff, IMO.
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164214 is a reply to message #164200] Fri, 20 November 2015 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorge Garcia
Messages: 1285
Registered: April 2010
Senior Member
On 11/19/2015 7:06 PM, René König wrote:
> Am 20.11.2015 um 00:28 schrieb Jorge Garcia:
>> out. The autorouter IMO did deliver a strong upgrade with multi-core
>> processing and the TopRouter algorithm. Then we have hierarchy which was
>
> This "multi-core processing" does not save you any time! The router
> itself is the same as it ever was and utilizes one core only, as far as
> I can see. Yes, you can run the autorouter with different parameters
> simultaneously. But why why why should you do this?
Hi Rene,

This allows the autorouter explore the solution space more efficiently.
I don't know how often you use the autorouter, but those that do use it
often find that sometimes the autorouter doesn't produce the result they
were looking for so they iteratively would adjust the cost factors
looking for a better result.

By running multiple-configurations simultaneously, much of that
iteration can be avoided.

Of course we have users who don't want to deal with autorouters in which
case this feature is mute.
>
> And the new TopRouter does not get the job done, look at your own videos
> for a demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TkJ6QLPL_Y

Could you elaborate on how this video shows that the TopRouter doesn't
get the job done? It ran and produced a viable variant like the other
runs did.

Of course every board is different the TopRouter may not always generate
the least amount of vias, or there may be times where you prefer one of
the other runs to the TopRouter but that's normal. The TopRouter gives
another option and stylistically it's pretty easy to tell the TopRouter
run apart from the others.

Again, if you don't use the autorouter much this is pretty much mute.

Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164237 is a reply to message #164191] Sat, 21 November 2015 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joern Paschedag
Messages: 1425
Registered: August 2008
Senior Member
Am 19.11.2015 um 17:53 schrieb Jorge Garcia:
>> It is then rather "nice" to see an advertisement popping up and next
>> thought is what other kind of shit is going to happen in future.
>> Like the boastfully advertisement of so called features of a half ready
>> "hierarchical design" for example?
>>
>> IMHO a user has checked the cadsoft internet presence with whatever
>> advertisements are there, but once he has selected what he wants this
>> kind of nonsense should stop.
>
> It does stop, like I mentioned in my post the freeware is the only
> version that has this all other licenses have no trace of it.
> Additionally and I forgot to mention this in my original reply the
> freeware was bumped up to 2 schematic sheets instead of one.
>
> No one likes this type of stuff, except high-level executives. The devs
> hate it with a passion, but it's not their call or mine.
>
> I'm grateful it's not as bad as other tools I've seen.
>
> hth,
> Jorge Garcia
>

Sorry Jorge but you did not get the point.
IMHO I must NOT read your postings before I download or even PAY for a
software to see whether it contains advertisements or not.
So the mentioning of the increasing of sheets is for the birds.

I'm quite sure that this advertising (and others) is NOT an idea of the
development staff.

The whole mess started when Farnell bought Cadsoft. From that moment I
knew it would become worst. (Others knew too)
The new licensing model 7.x is (was) one of those things. The half
ready "hierarchical design" one of others. Let them pay for one half and
again for PERHAPS the other half in the next release :-(

One loads down a product and many ulp's do not fit the new version....
(Ah we do that on a later release).

And another little thing, the forum links between the eagle newsgroups:

As far as I remember EAGLE Central established that working link in
about a week time.
Element14 has not made that in 3 ? years.

Don't see this as a personal affront against you Jorge.


--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

Joern Paschedag
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164238 is a reply to message #164214] Sat, 21 November 2015 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rk
Messages: 386
Registered: February 2005
Senior Member
Am 20.11.2015 um 17:56 schrieb Jorge Garcia:
> Could you elaborate on how this video shows that the TopRouter doesn't
> get the job done? It ran and produced a viable variant like the other
> runs did.

94.9% You call it viable - I call it, sorry, bs. I played with the
TopRouter as well long time ago and was also not able to get a 100%
coverage on even the simplest boards, like in the video.

The classic router, on the other hand, does it with ease. And I still
don't see the need for running different setups simultaneously, all of
them not producing the best result imaginable. It's nonsense.
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164239 is a reply to message #164237] Sat, 21 November 2015 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rk
Messages: 386
Registered: February 2005
Senior Member
Am 21.11.2015 um 09:12 schrieb Joern Paschedag:
> The new licensing model 7.x is (was) one of those things. The half
> ready "hierarchical design" one of others. Let them pay for one half and
> again for PERHAPS the other half in the next release :-(
>
> One loads down a product and many ulp's do not fit the new version....
> (Ah we do that on a later release).

And as an added benefit you can't switch assembly variants in the board
editor any longer...
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164240 is a reply to message #164214] Sat, 21 November 2015 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olin
Messages: 903
Registered: December 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Senior Member
Jorge Garcia wrote on Fri, 20 November 2015 11:56

This allows the autorouter explore the solution space more efficiently.
I don't know how often you use the autorouter, but those that do use it
often find that sometimes the autorouter doesn't produce the result they
were looking for so they iteratively would adjust the cost factors
looking for a better result.

By running multiple-configurations simultaneously, much of that
iteration can be avoided.


Jorge, I'm a big Eagle fan, but this feature really is silly. Worse yet, it seems to have detracted from what we really want, which is for the real autorouter to use all the processor cores we have.

Your view of how the auto router is used doesn't fit with reality. Once you learn to use the auto router properly, it's not the router parameters that you tweak iteratively, but placement of parts, some manual pre-routing, and net classes. Each of those also requires seeing the results from one run to know what to tweak before the next run.

Again, a real benefit would be to make each pass shorter by utilizing all the available CPU, not by running multiple passes in parallel. All the top router has done for me so far is made me waste time reading the docs to figure out how to get past it and use the real auto router. The changed user interface has only made auto routing more tedious. Less things can be done with the keyboard, and the applet retains less state between uses, if I remember right.

The existance of the top router has only slowed me down without any benefit at this point.
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164647 is a reply to message #164140] Tue, 05 January 2016 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander Higgins
Messages: 2
Registered: January 2016
Junior Member
What a completely useless "improvement".  Great.  Update your version of
EAGLE, and you can add advertisements!  Every single time you open a
project, you have to close an advertisement pop-up window!  This is
exactly what everyone wants.  Being happy with the software, learning
how to use it well, and naturally graduating to a more premium license
because you have invested time into making better boards and enjoy using
EAGLE... this isn't effective.  How about this:  Piss off the customer
with a stupid flash screen that is specifically implemented to be a
nuisance, so that they don't want to continue to naturally get better at
using the product, and instead allow them to naturally start looking for
a different solution.  Unfortunately, I've already purchased a
commercial license.  But when I went to go train one of our techs that
had downloaded 7.5 with the fresh new advertisements, I instructed him
to just download [an alternative].  EAGLE had unfortunately got their
head so far up their [guess] that it is better to start with something
else before investing your time training.  It's sad, because I'm good at
EAGLE, and I like it, and I resent them for messing up so severely.  And
this guy going around letting us know that it could have been so much
worse, and consoling us that this isn't so bad, "it's just a temporary
flash screen", and there are other features now.  I don't want to hear
it.  Please just take responsibility that this flash screen is an
absolute croc.  It is useless, and designed to be inconvenient.  EAGLE
is specifically popular among open source folk, and the maker community,
above all else, that is famous for sharing their designs and being,
well, open source!  And this has killed EALGE.  There is nothing open
source about it now.  We have nothing in common.  This sucks.  I hate
it. 

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/170777
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164648 is a reply to message #164647] Wed, 06 January 2016 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander Higgins
Messages: 2
Registered: January 2016
Junior Member
The marketing team probably saw the scenario like this: 
User:  "Jeez I really don't like this annoying software now that is
making me close the advertisements.  I feel like giving the company more
money, now that I am good and annoyed."
The problem is, that's just not the way it works.  People aren't going
to react positively to something negative.  People get into EAGLE
because it is free and convenient, and enjoyable.  Then, myself
included, they get great at it, and eventually need more layers, and to
use it commercially.  It's a built in carrot for the user to pay for the
software, because they will grow out of their training wheels eventually
and want less restrictions.  It's brilliant, and an organic way to get
users to start with EAGLE, and not the alternatives.  Putting a
thumbtack on the seat is not going to make you ride your bike more and
grow out of your training wheels.  My point is, there is no need for a
stick.  There is a brilliant carrot built in, and everyone is going to
notice this, and everyone is going to hate it. 

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/170781
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164650 is a reply to message #164648] Wed, 06 January 2016 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob Pearce
Messages: 470
Registered: September 2012
Senior Member
On 06/01/16 01:17, Alexander Higgins wrote:
> The marketing team probably saw the scenario like this:
> User: "Jeez I really don't like this annoying software now that is
> making me close the advertisements. I feel like giving the company more
> money, now that I am good and annoyed."

No, that's not true. Marketing people are abnormal non-human cretins but
they're not THAT stupid. They honestly, truly believe that people see
adverts and think "Oh wow! That's brilliant! I always wanted to know how
I could spend more with them!" (This goes with their belief that
everybody loves flash-filled websites and animated transitions between
pages.)


The rest of Alexander's rant, however, is spot on. Once again the E14
evil overlords have imposed a catastrophic decision on Eagle and once
again the sensible old-guard who understand engineers are fire-fighting
it. We can only hope that, once again, common sense can win out
eventually and things will go back to how they were.
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164672 is a reply to message #164648] Thu, 07 January 2016 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Sauerwald
Messages: 15
Registered: September 2014
Junior Member
I for one, am grateful for the ad spashes.  Here is why:

I use Eagle for home hobbyist projects.  I have purchased the hobbyist
version which was very reasonably priced, and has reasonable limitations
placed on what I can do with it.    For professional projects, where my
employer provides the tools that I use, I use Altium, which has fewer
limits, but is at a cost which is not possible to justify for non
professional uses.   Because Eagle offers both freeware and low cost
hobby licenses, there is broad use of the tool in the hobby community,
which in turn has resulted in a broad spectrum of support.  There is no
such support for Altium.  The development of a tool like Eagle is not
free, and to offer free and low cost versions, they need to determine
how to pay for the development.  One option is to push the cost onto the
professional licenses, which will bump their cost up, and move more of
the professional users to tools like Altium - in which case those of us
using the lower cost tools lose that layer of user support.  

If advertising to those who are not paying anything for the use of a
very valuable tool is the cost of allowing CadSoft to offer a
professional quality product to the maker community, then I feel that it
is a bargain.  

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/170958
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164674 is a reply to message #164672] Thu, 07 January 2016 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob Pearce
Messages: 470
Registered: September 2012
Senior Member
On 07/01/16 17:46, Mark Sauerwald wrote:
> If advertising to those who are not paying anything for the use of a
> very valuable tool is the cost of allowing CadSoft to offer a
> professional quality product to the maker community, then I feel that it
> is a bargain.

I get your argument but I'm dubious about the real value of such
advertising. I really don't see that anybody is actually likely to
respond to it in any positive way, so I can't see how it's worth
anything to the advertiser. If I'm right then I can't imagine the
advertiser having a sufficient case to pay CadSoft more than a tiny
pittance for the privilege, and then your argument falls down in a heap
because the advertising won't even pay for itself let alone keep the
professional license cost down in any meaningful way.

Of course, it may be that the marketing types are so far off mark (or
I'm so mistaken about human nature) that significant sums of money are
handed over, and you're right to accept the annoyance "for the greater
good".
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164697 is a reply to message #164140] Sat, 09 January 2016 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eaglecandies
Messages: 185
Registered: September 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Senior Member
I'm hoping for a much more substantial release than what V7 was. It's still
not due for a good while but, let's see what happens.


However we've seen what happens, year after year...important deficiencies are swept under the next version's rug. When will there be a STATED DEFINITIVE timeline to get improvements such as a bottom board viewing orientation in place?

Cadsoft's website http://www.cadsoftusa.com/training-service/faq/ currently shows (it is now 2016):

2. Does EAGLE run with Windows Vista and Windows 7?
Yes it does. EAGLE version 5.x.x runs without problems


The Download area of CadSoft's web server offers lots of User Language Programs for free.
Various useful ULP-based functions (Selection, January 2007):

....This was brought up months ago, management's nap is going well.
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164710 is a reply to message #164697] Mon, 11 January 2016 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorge Garcia
Messages: 1285
Registered: April 2010
Senior Member
On 1/8/2016 9:53 PM, Hoyt wrote:
> I'm hoping for a much more substantial release than what V7 was. It's
> still not due for a good while but, let's see what happens.
>
>
> However we've seen what happens, year after year...important deficiencies
> are swept under the next version's rug. When will there be a STATED
> DEFINITIVE timeline to get improvements such as a bottom board viewing
> orientation in place?
>
> Cadsoft's website http://www.cadsoftusa.com/training-service/faq/
> currently shows (it is now 2016):
>
> 2. Does EAGLE run with Windows Vista and Windows 7?
> Yes it does. EAGLE version 5.x.x runs without problems
>
>
> The Download area of CadSoft's web server offers lots of User Language
> Programs for free. Various useful ULP-based functions (Selection,
> January 2007):
>
> ...This was brought up months ago, management's nap is going well.
>

Hi Hoyt,

I'll try to wake them up again. Let's see if I'm successful. ;)

Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #164730 is a reply to message #164648] Wed, 13 January 2016 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Armel Fourreau
Messages: 3
Registered: January 2016
Junior Member
Back to this advertisement thing.

1/ The 'pop up' advertising is counter productive from a marketing /
reputational point of view. Remember how you felt in the early days of
the internet, when they were invading your screen every 5 seconds?

2/ Financially speaking it doesn't make sense either. For maybe 1 out of
20 free users that will eventually buy Eagle to avoid the pop-up,
Cadsoft will end up with 19 pissed-off users, who love Eagle and know
how great it is (Alexander's comparison with the 'carrot' is spot on),
but who will now be much more receptive to free alternatives (e.g.
KiCad).

What you could do (in line with common practices in the software world),
is to put a small 'disable on startup' checkbox on the pop up, so that
people it bothers can turn it off.
In the meantime, I have rolled back to version 7.3.
Best,

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/171409
Re: EAGLE version 7.5 released! [message #167918 is a reply to message #164140] Fri, 25 November 2016 01:48 Go to previous message
eaglecandies
Messages: 185
Registered: September 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Senior Member
11/19/2015 (1 year ago) On a brighter note, things seem to be better organized for V8 and I'm hoping for a much more substantial release than what V7 was. It's still
not due for a good while but, let's see what happens.


Yes, let's see what happened...maybe this will finally be the year it leapfrogs ahead. Autodesk can move it forward--they have resources.
Previous Topic: EAGLE version 7.7 released!
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Apr 28 21:49:52 GMT 2017