EAGLE Central Forums
Where the EAGLE community meets. Sponsored by Stratford Digital.

Home » CadSoft Support Forums » eagle.suggest.eng » Changing fonts (Specify font for Proportional and Fixed)
Changing fonts [message #163902] Sat, 31 October 2015 16:52 Go to next message
Fox_Alex
Messages: 3
Registered: October 2015
Location: Russia, Saint-Petersburg
Junior Member
I need to select non-standart font for all text in the schematics, but Eagle does not support it. So I have to export sheet to DXF and edit it with Autocad. It`s working, but change font in Eagle would be very easier.
Re: Changing fonts [message #163921 is a reply to message #163902] Tue, 03 November 2015 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joop14
Messages: 99
Registered: June 2013
Member
I would prefer that Eagle drops all support for proportional fonts and
set all fonts hardcoded to vector.
It's the only way to guarantee that a font ends up as expected,
everywhere and on every kind of system.

Also, imho, non-vector fonts make a schematic look amateurish.

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/165805
Re: Changing fonts [message #163922 is a reply to message #163921] Tue, 03 November 2015 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fox_Alex
Messages: 3
Registered: October 2015
Location: Russia, Saint-Petersburg
Junior Member
I need it for documentation only. Vector font not support cyrillic. Proportional font (Tahoma) is not good for russian standarts. I woud like to change it to Autocad`s ISO font (ISOPEUR).
Re: Changing fonts [message #163923 is a reply to message #163902] Tue, 03 November 2015 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tilmann Reh
Messages: 2066
Registered: October 2004
Senior Member
Fox_Alex schrieb:

> I need to select non-standart font for all text in the schematics, but
> Eagle does not support it. So I have to export sheet to DXF and edit it
> with Autocad. It`s working, but change font in Eagle would be very easier.

EAGLE only supports its built-in fonts.

The request for support of "external" fonts from the system is a *very*
long-standing one. Personally, I fear it won't be implemented at all.

Tilmann
Re: Changing fonts [message #163925 is a reply to message #163921] Tue, 03 November 2015 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tilmann Reh
Messages: 2066
Registered: October 2004
Senior Member
Joop14 schrieb:

> I would prefer that Eagle drops all support for proportional fonts and
> set all fonts hardcoded to vector.

That is a very bad idea - unless they would finally implement a nice
looking vector font (like Hershey), which also is a very long-standing
request...

> It's the only way to guarantee that a font ends up as expected,
> everywhere and on every kind of system.

The built-in fonts guarantee that as well.

> Also, imho, non-vector fonts make a schematic look amateurish.

But IMHO you're *completely* wrong here.

EAGLEs extremely ugly vector font makes schematics appear as if they
were created by some amateurish software that can't do better.

Tilmann
Re: Changing fonts [message #163928 is a reply to message #163925] Tue, 03 November 2015 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joop14
Messages: 99
Registered: June 2013
Member
Let's agree that we don't agree.

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/165815
Re: Changing fonts [message #163930 is a reply to message #163923] Tue, 03 November 2015 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorge Garcia
Messages: 1282
Registered: April 2010
Senior Member
> The request for support of "external" fonts from the system is a *very*
> long-standing one. Personally, I fear it won't be implemented at all.

Hi Guys,

This another one of those long standing requests. It's considered low
priority though, hence why it hasn't been implemented yet.

I used to be of the opinion that EAGLE should only use vector fonts
period. However, the proportional fonts are necessary for those who want
searchable PDFs from EAGLE. For whatever reason vector-font doesn't
produce a searchable PDF which is an important feature for many users.

I recall a little while ago, that someone made a Hershey text ULP which
basically writes all of the text in the board using the Hershey
font(much nicer IMHO). It's not without it's flaws(doesn't support
multi-line text) but the end result is quite useable.

I can't add it to the wishlist since it's already there.

hth,
Jorge Garcia
Re: Changing fonts [message #163936 is a reply to message #163930] Wed, 04 November 2015 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Morten Leikvoll
Messages: 1340
Registered: November 2007
Senior Member
On 03.11.2015 17:58, Jorge Garcia wrote:
> I used to be of the opinion that EAGLE should only use vector fonts
> period. However, the proportional fonts are necessary for those who want
> searchable PDFs from EAGLE. For whatever reason vector-font doesn't
> produce a searchable PDF which is an important feature for many users.

There is no need for proportional fonts to make pdf's searchable, so
this argument is void. I have seen raw scanned pdf's searchable.
I'm not sure how this is done, but I would think its some kind of
metadata. Maybe this link is useful:
http://searchable-pdf.com/content.php?lang=en&c=61
Re: Changing fonts [message #163938 is a reply to message #163936] Wed, 04 November 2015 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joop14
Messages: 99
Registered: June 2013
Member
> CadSoft Guest wrote:
>
>
>
> On 03.11.2015 17:58, Jorge Garcia wrote:
>
>> I used to be of the opinion that EAGLE should only use vector
>> fonts
>>
>> period. However, the proportional fonts are necessary for those who
>> want
>>
>> searchable PDFs from EAGLE. For whatever reason vector-font
>> doesn't
>>
>> produce a searchable PDF which is an important feature for many
>> users.
>
>
>
> There is no need for proportional fonts to make pdf's searchable, so
>
> this argument is void. I have seen raw scanned pdf's searchable.
>
> I'm not sure how this is done, but I would think its some kind of
>
> metadata. Maybe this link is useful:
>
> http://searchable-pdf.com/content.php?lang=en&c=61
>
>
>
>

I agree. Have a look at this thread:
http://www.element14.com/community/thread/44740/l/pdf-is-not-searchable-aga in
(/thread/44740/l/pdf-is-not-searchable-again)

Vector fonts should be the default imho. It looks more "professional" as
well.
Ever seen the default font of altium? It's terrible.

Kind Regards,

Joop

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/165927
Re: Changing fonts [message #163939 is a reply to message #163930] Wed, 04 November 2015 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tilmann Reh
Messages: 2066
Registered: October 2004
Senior Member
Jorge Garcia schrieb:

>> The request for support of "external" fonts from the system is a *very*
>> long-standing one. Personally, I fear it won't be implemented at all.
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> This another one of those long standing requests. It's considered low
> priority though, hence why it hasn't been implemented yet.

I agree that it's low priority.

> I used to be of the opinion that EAGLE should only use vector fonts
> period.

If the vector font wouldn't be *that ugly*, I would agree...

> However, the proportional fonts are necessary for those who want
> searchable PDFs from EAGLE. For whatever reason vector-font doesn't
> produce a searchable PDF which is an important feature for many users.

As Morten already pointed out, these are different issues and not
necessarily related to each other.

> I recall a little while ago, that someone made a Hershey text ULP which
> basically writes all of the text in the board using the Hershey
> font(much nicer IMHO). It's not without it's flaws(doesn't support
> multi-line text) but the end result is quite useable.

Yes, I already use that Hershey ULP in some cases when the silk screen
on the board needs to be "more beautyful". (In schematics, I always use
proportional font only - but if EAGLE would support Hershey as built-in
font, I would be lucky with that also.)

But this ULP is cumbersome to use, particularly if *anything* changes in
your board after you used the ULP to generate nice looking text. (Not to
say anything against the ULP, the author did a great job and it's as
good as it can be.) A nice looking built-in vector font is the only
*good* solution - and this also is a *very* long-standing request that
should have been addressed years ago, IMHO. It shouldn't be too much
work to implement Hershey as fourth font. All you need is already there
and/or freely available.

Tilmann
Re: Changing fonts [message #163940 is a reply to message #163938] Wed, 04 November 2015 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tilmann Reh
Messages: 2066
Registered: October 2004
Senior Member
Joop14 schrieb:

> Vector fonts should be the default imho. It looks more "professional" as
> well.
> Ever seen the default font of altium? It's terrible.

You really think that the more terribly a font looks, the more
professional is the appearance of the CAD software?

Strange.
For me, it's more the other way round...

OK, we agree that we don't agree. :-)

Tilmann

P.S. Even a vector font doesn't need to look that ugly (see Hershey).
Please don't confuse a fonts /generation/ with its /appearance/.
Re: Changing fonts [message #163954 is a reply to message #163936] Wed, 04 November 2015 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorge Garcia
Messages: 1282
Registered: April 2010
Senior Member
> There is no need for proportional fonts to make pdf's searchable, so
> this argument is void. I have seen raw scanned pdf's searchable.
> I'm not sure how this is done, but I would think its some kind of
> metadata. Maybe this link is useful:
> http://searchable-pdf.com/content.php?lang=en&c=61
>

HI Morten,

I'm sure that in general you are correct. However, as far as EAGLE's
current implementation proportional fonts are the only ones that are
searchable in a PDF.

I agree that you shouldn't have to use a font because it's the only
thing that make a PDF searchable.

hth,
Best Regards,
Jorge Garcia
Re: Changing fonts [message #164546 is a reply to message #163939] Sun, 27 December 2015 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olin
Messages: 903
Registered: December 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Senior Member
Tilmann Reh wrote on Wed, 04 November 2015 02:59

A nice looking built-in vector font is the only *good* solution


Not really. Simply allowing us to define our own font is another way, which I'd prefer. Eagle can default to the existing font.

Quote:

It shouldn't be too much work to implement Hershey as fourth font.


I'd actually rather they didn't. Then we'll end up with something else that's not quite what we want in some instances, but with once again no way to address it. Make the definition of all the characters soft with commands to define whatever vectors you want per character. Then we can all get whatever fonts we like.

For example, I use the Hershey fonts too, mostly. I've made a few minor customizations to them, and would like to use them too. These include adding the Ohm, micro, and other symbols at known character codes. Of course the TEXT command would have to be expanded to allow arbitrary character codes to be specified.

Writing a program that takes a font definition and generates the Eagle script to load that into Eagle would be trivial. People would probably upload scripts for various fonts, so those that are happy with someone else's details don't have to do anything beyond run a canned script.

Give me customizability over built-in features! This way Eagle doesn't have to include any new font at all, and doesn't need a complicated interface to manage fonts. This should actually be easier on the developers.
Re: Changing fonts [message #165479 is a reply to message #163902] Sun, 17 April 2016 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Farr
Messages: 2
Registered: April 2016
Junior Member
Given that there are very powerful, standard, anti-aliased fonts built-n
to all platforms that are very easy for a developer to use, the font
support and in general the readability and look of Eagle is surprisingly
bad.   I'm looking at the same schematic in Eagle and one my friend did
in ORCad.  Eagle looks like my 1984 MacPlus with bitmapped fonts.   The
lines of my triangular op-amps are actually pixelated!

Eagle just doesn't look professional.

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
https://www.element14.com/community/message/194872
Re: Changing fonts [message #165481 is a reply to message #165479] Sun, 17 April 2016 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rachaelp
Messages: 532
Registered: March 2015
Location: UK
Senior Member
> Michael Farr wrote:
>
> Given that there are very powerful, standard, anti-aliased fonts
> built-n to all platforms that are very easy for a developer to use,
> the font support and in general the readability and look of Eagle is
> surprisingly bad.   I'm looking at the same schematic in Eagle and one
> my friend did in ORCad.  Eagle looks like my 1984 MacPlus with
> bitmapped fonts.   The lines of my triangular op-amps are actually
> pixelated!
>
> Eagle just doesn't look professional.
Hi Michael,

What OS are you running and which version of EAGLE? Which font are you
using in the schematics? With some tweaking I have managed to get things
looking okay, the biggest issue is you need to have the standard ugly
vector font in the board or else when you have your boards made the silk
screen will likely be a mess.

If you are using OSX and have a Retina display there are also rendering
quality issues there as EAGLE doesn't correctly deal with HiDPI displays
on OSX yet either, although they have made some improvements in 7.5.2
and I believe they are still working on getting it fixed properly.

Best Regards,

Rachael

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
https://www.element14.com/community/message/194873
Re: Changing fonts [message #165528 is a reply to message #165481] Fri, 22 April 2016 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CadSoft Support
Messages: 538
Registered: September 2006
Senior Member
Am 17.04.2016 um 11:46 schrieb rachaelp:
>> Michael Farr wrote:
>>
>> Given that there are very powerful, standard, anti-aliased fonts
>> built-n to all platforms that are very easy for a developer to use,
>> the font support and in general the readability and look of Eagle is
>> surprisingly bad. I'm looking at the same schematic in Eagle and one
>> my friend did in ORCad. Eagle looks like my 1984 MacPlus with
>> bitmapped fonts. The lines of my triangular op-amps are actually
>> pixelated!
>>
>> Eagle just doesn't look professional.
> Hi Michael,
>
> What OS are you running and which version of EAGLE? Which font are you
> using in the schematics? With some tweaking I have managed to get things
> looking okay, the biggest issue is you need to have the standard ugly
> vector font in the board or else when you have your boards made the silk
> screen will likely be a mess.
>
> If you are using OSX and have a Retina display there are also rendering
> quality issues there as EAGLE doesn't correctly deal with HiDPI displays
> on OSX yet either, although they have made some improvements in 7.5.2
> and I believe they are still working on getting it fixed properly.
>

Hi,

in the current beta 7.5.4 the problems with the MAC verions with
high resolution diplays should be fixed.


--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best regards
Richard Hammerl
CadSoft Support -- hotline@cadsoft.de
FAQ: http://www.cadsoft.de/training/faq/
Re: Changing fonts [message #165529 is a reply to message #165528] Fri, 22 April 2016 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rachaelp
Messages: 532
Registered: March 2015
Location: UK
Senior Member
Hi Richard,

If the Mac HiDPI resolution issues are fixed this is a big deal for me
so will be very happy! Looking on the website I can only see the 7.5.3
beta available. Do you know when 7.5.4 will be available?

Many thanks,

Rachael

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
https://www.element14.com/community/message/195269
Re: Changing fonts [message #165531 is a reply to message #165529] Fri, 22 April 2016 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CadSoft Support
Messages: 538
Registered: September 2006
Senior Member
Am 22.04.2016 um 11:39 schrieb rachaelp:
> Hi Richard,
>
> If the Mac HiDPI resolution issues are fixed this is a big deal for me
> so will be very happy! Looking on the website I can only see the 7.5.3
> beta available. Do you know when 7.5.4 will be available?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Rachael
>
> --
> To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
> https://www.element14.com/community/message/195269
>


Ahh, sorry. I wrote "the current 7.5.4".... It should be released
next week.

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best regards
Richard Hammerl
CadSoft Support -- hotline@cadsoft.de
FAQ: http://www.cadsoft.de/training/faq/
Re: Changing fonts [message #165532 is a reply to message #165531] Fri, 22 April 2016 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rachaelp
Messages: 532
Registered: March 2015
Location: UK
Senior Member
CadSoft Support wrote on Fri, 22 April 2016 10:56
Ahh, sorry. I wrote "the current 7.5.4".... It should be released next week.


Brilliant, I can't wait to get my hands on this version! Smile

Many thanks,

Rachael
Re: Changing fonts [message #165540 is a reply to message #165531] Fri, 22 April 2016 15:54 Go to previous message
Michael Farr
Messages: 2
Registered: April 2016
Junior Member
Thanks for monitoring this thread, Richard.  We'll look forward to the
release.

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
https://www.element14.com/community/message/195302
Previous Topic: Feature request for physical design reuse capability in the board editor
Next Topic: How to Eliminate Parasitic Capacitance
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Mar 25 15:32:56 GMT 2017