EAGLE Central Forums
Where the EAGLE community meets. Sponsored by Stratford Digital.

Home » CadSoft Support Forums » eagle.userchat.eng » Where are the 74ALS parts?
Where are the 74ALS parts? [message #161341] Sat, 13 June 2015 08:08 Go to next message
Logyx
Messages: 34
Registered: May 2015
Member
I'm trying to find the following parts:

74ALS645D
74ALS08D

They don't seem to be in the default libraries nor in any downloadable
libraries I've found.

L.
Re: Where are the 74ALS parts? [message #161344 is a reply to message #161341] Sat, 13 June 2015 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olin
Messages: 903
Registered: December 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Senior Member
Logyx wrote on Sat, 13 June 2015 04:08

I'm trying to find the following parts:

74ALS645D
74ALS08D


So go make them. By time you look around for them, post a question here about them, possibly find them somewhere, vet them, and maybe update them to your conventions, you'd have finished making them exactly as you want them.
Re: Where are the 74ALS parts? [message #161349 is a reply to message #161341] Sat, 13 June 2015 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob Pearce
Messages: 487
Registered: September 2012
Senior Member
On 13/06/15 09:08, Logyx wrote:
> I'm trying to find the following parts:
>
> 74ALS645D
> 74ALS08D
>
> They don't seem to be in the default libraries nor in any downloadable
> libraries I've found.
>
Have you looked in 74xx-eu.lbr (in the standard distribution)? It
certainly has one of those.
Re: Where are the 74ALS parts? [message #161352 is a reply to message #161341] Sat, 13 June 2015 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eaglecandies
Messages: 186
Registered: September 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Senior Member
74ALS645D is almost completely obsolete...you should use something else, or at least investigate a source before you commit & order boards (for parts that will never arrive).

the non-D part is in stock in a few flavors

Re: Where are the 74ALS parts? [message #161353 is a reply to message #161349] Sat, 13 June 2015 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Logyx
Messages: 34
Registered: May 2015
Member
On 13/06/2015 16:57, Rob Pearce wrote:
> On 13/06/15 09:08, Logyx wrote:
>> I'm trying to find the following parts:
>>
>> 74ALS645D
>> 74ALS08D
>>
>> They don't seem to be in the default libraries nor in any downloadable
>> libraries I've found.
>>
> Have you looked in 74xx-eu.lbr (in the standard distribution)? It
> certainly has one of those.

Yes, found the "08" there (not 74ALS645D though)!
Maybe I'm not using the search function in Eagle's "Add" tool, but that
library had them indexed as 74*08 so no wonder searching for 74ALS08D
didn't work.
Is there a smarter way to search for any and all variations of the 74LS08?

L.
Re: Where are the 74ALS parts? [message #161354 is a reply to message #161352] Sat, 13 June 2015 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Logyx
Messages: 34
Registered: May 2015
Member
On 13/06/2015 22:10, Hoyt wrote:
> 74ALS645D is almost completely obsolete...you should use something else, or
> at least investigate a source before you commit & order boards (for parts
> that will never arrive).
>
> the non-D part is in stock in a few flavors

Thanks for pointing this out. The project I want to do comes from a
magazine from around 1987.
Is the difference between the various types within a specific TTL part
(i.e. all variations of the 74_645) to do with how much power it draws
and package type? In other words, provided there's enough power
available, all variations would work?

L.
Re: Where are the 74ALS parts? [message #161356 is a reply to message #161341] Sat, 13 June 2015 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eaglecandies
Messages: 186
Registered: September 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Senior Member
Is the difference between the various types within a specific TTL part

Sure, speed, power and often most importantly, voltage trip levels (such as 74LS08 vs cmos 74HC08 vs 74HCT08) differ. Unless your app is very critical, most speed & power versions will just "drop in". Of course HC & HCT are not TTL, they are CMOS & TTL compatible CMOS devices.

Note the "D" is just one mfg suffix for "DIP" package...others may use something other than "D"

RCA invented CMOS, but called it COS/MOS

You can search for *74*08* , since some companies also put letters in front, because alphabet soup is good for you.


Re: Where are the 74ALS parts? [message #161357 is a reply to message #161341] Sat, 13 June 2015 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eaglecandies
Messages: 186
Registered: September 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Senior Member
The project I want to do comes from a magazine from around 1987

I also have a few project from then that I need to blow the dust off & finish up.
Re: Where are the 74ALS parts? [message #161360 is a reply to message #161353] Sun, 14 June 2015 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
warrenbrayshaw
Messages: 1768
Registered: January 2010
Location: New Zealand
Senior Member
On 14/06/2015 9:10 a.m., Logyx wrote:
> On 13/06/2015 16:57, Rob Pearce wrote:
>> On 13/06/15 09:08, Logyx wrote:
>>> I'm trying to find the following parts:
>>>
>>> 74ALS645D
>>> 74ALS08D
>>>
>>> They don't seem to be in the default libraries nor in any downloadable
>>> libraries I've found.
>>>
>> Have you looked in 74xx-eu.lbr (in the standard distribution)? It
>> certainly has one of those.
>
> Yes, found the "08" there (not 74ALS645D though)!
> Maybe I'm not using the search function in Eagle's "Add" tool, but that
> library had them indexed as 74*08 so no wonder searching for 74ALS08D
> didn't work.
> Is there a smarter way to search for any and all variations of the 74LS08?
>
> L.
>


Hi
The better way to search for devices is to be in the Schematic and
perform an ADD there. In the lower portion of the ADD dialog you can
search. Wild cards work here. See the HELP.
So search for *74*08*
or *74LS08*
You will see a couple of libraries have 74LS08N (DIL14)

Again with *74*645*
Finds 74645N (DIL20)

You can expect the footprint and gates of the 74ALS645D to be the same
as the 74645N, but do verify that using the data sheets.

As always you must verify the library parts before using them no matter
where you source them from and that includes those that come with Eagle.

HTH
Warren
Re: Where are the 74ALS parts? [message #161388 is a reply to message #161344] Tue, 16 June 2015 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Logyx
Messages: 34
Registered: May 2015
Member
On 13/06/2015 12:53, Olin Lathrop wrote:
> Logyx wrote on Sat, 13 June 2015 04:08
>> I'm trying to find the following parts:
>>
>> 74ALS645D
>> 74ALS08D
>
>
> So go make them. By time you look around for them, post a question here
> about them, possibly find them somewhere, vet them, and maybe update them
> to your conventions, you'd have finished making them exactly as you want
> them.

I did eventually locate a 74645N (from the "74ttl-din" library).
If I do create a part (or copy and modify from another part), do I need
to include all the gates etc. or will it do fine just to create have the
IC rectangle shape with pins that are joined with the package outline?
Re: Where are the 74ALS parts? [message #161389 is a reply to message #161360] Tue, 16 June 2015 07:45 Go to previous message
Logyx
Messages: 34
Registered: May 2015
Member
On 14/06/2015 07:48, warrenbrayshaw wrote:
> On 14/06/2015 9:10 a.m., Logyx wrote:
>> On 13/06/2015 16:57, Rob Pearce wrote:

> The better way to search for devices is to be in the Schematic and
> perform an ADD there. In the lower portion of the ADD dialog you can
> search. Wild cards work here. See the HELP.
> So search for *74*08*
> or *74LS08*
> You will see a couple of libraries have 74LS08N (DIL14)
>
> Again with *74*645*
> Finds 74645N (DIL20)

That worked a whole lot better!
Yes, I've always been using the search function when in the "Add" tool
in the schematic (I didn't know there were other ways to search for
parts), but didn't know about the "*" wildcard.

How does the "attributes" function work while searching?


> You can expect the footprint and gates of the 74ALS645D to be the same
> as the 74645N, but do verify that using the data sheets.
>
> As always you must verify the library parts before using them no matter
> where you source them from and that includes those that come with Eagle.

Good idea! Thanks.
Previous Topic: Board inconsistency -how to update?
Next Topic: Ground plane settings for RF?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Oct 18 05:54:12 GMT 2017