EAGLE Central Forums
Where the EAGLE community meets. Sponsored by Stratford Digital.

Home » CadSoft Support Forums » eagle.betatest » Working with (big) modules
Working with (big) modules [message #158603] Tue, 25 November 2014 12:15 Go to next message
Ewald Altmann
Messages: 9
Registered: April 2014
Junior Member
Hi, I have encountered a display (or save) bug when trying to use a
quite big subcircuit as module.
I can create the module and place an instance on a regular schematic
sheet.
But when I save/close the design and re-open it, the instances have
wrong frame size.
Pictures:
1. before saving/closing:
[module before saving.gif]
2. after re-opening:
[module after saving.gif]

Additionally, I find it ugly to select signals for placing the ports on
the module symbol.
It would be better to explixitly (and visibly) mark all ex-port-able
signals in the subcircuit, e.g. by a special label-version.
Then, when creating the module symbol, display only a list of these
signals.
Additionally, it should be possible to select multiple signals and place
them as a series of pins together in one action...

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/132869
Re: Working with (big) modules [message #158604 is a reply to message #158603] Tue, 25 November 2014 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Walter Spermann
Messages: 540
Registered: August 2010
Senior Member
Hi,

On 11/25/2014 01:15 PM, Ewald Altmann wrote:
>
> Hi, I have encountered a display (or save) bug when trying to use a
> quite big subcircuit as module.
> I can create the module and place an instance on a regular schematic
> sheet.
> But when I save/close the design and re-open it, the instances have
> wrong frame size.
> Pictures:
> 1. before saving/closing:
> [module before saving.gif]
> 2. after re-opening:
> [module after saving.gif]
sorry, the attachments are missing.

Walter Spermann
>
> Additionally, I find it ugly to select signals for placing the ports on
> the module symbol.
> It would be better to explixitly (and visibly) mark all ex-port-able
> signals in the subcircuit, e.g. by a special label-version.
> Then, when creating the module symbol, display only a list of these
> signals.
> Additionally, it should be possible to select multiple signals and place
> them as a series of pins together in one action...
>
> --
> To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
> http://www.element14.com/community/message/132869


--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
Walter Spermann
Software Development
CadSoft Computer GmbH
Pleidolfweg 15
84568 Pleiskirchen
Tel.: 08635/6989-10
www.cadsoft.de
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Traunstein HRB 5573
Geschäftsführer: Mark Whiteling
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
Re: Working with (big) modules [message #158612 is a reply to message #158604] Tue, 25 November 2014 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ewald Altmann
Messages: 9
Registered: April 2014
Junior Member
The pictures are there, embedded between text.
Let me know if you need .sch file.

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/132925
Re: Working with (big) modules [message #158613 is a reply to message #158612] Tue, 25 November 2014 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grzegorz Zalot
Messages: 712
Registered: November 2004
Senior Member
Hello Ewald ,

> The pictures are there, embedded between text.

Only if you use this link ....

> http://www.element14.com/community/message/132869

and not good visible, even zoomed.

IMHO use of element14 forum is not the optimal way, direct news client
is much better.

regards
--
Grzegorz Zalot

complex ltd.
office tel/fax : +48 32 2505840
mobil : +48 501 301515
Re: Working with (big) modules [message #158615 is a reply to message #158612] Wed, 26 November 2014 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Walter Spermann
Messages: 540
Registered: August 2010
Senior Member
On 11/25/2014 09:05 PM, Ewald Altmann wrote:
> The pictures are there, embedded between text.
> Let me know if you need .sch file.
OK, I see. We can't reproduce it by just creating a fresh module.
Could you send us the schematic ? (to support@cadsoft.de)
Do ALL module instances have the same wrong size then ?
If you save and reopen again, does it keep the wrong size ?

Regards,
Walter Spermann
>
> --
> To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
> http://www.element14.com/community/message/132925


--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
Walter Spermann
Software Development
CadSoft Computer GmbH
Pleidolfweg 15
84568 Pleiskirchen
Tel.: 08635/6989-10
www.cadsoft.de
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Traunstein HRB 5573
Geschäftsführer: Mark Whiteling
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
Re: Working with (big) modules [message #158620 is a reply to message #158615] Wed, 26 November 2014 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ewald Altmann
Messages: 9
Registered: April 2014
Junior Member
I've sent a reduced version of my schematic to support@cadsoft.de
(mailto:support@cadsoft.de).

--
To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/132971
Re: Working with (big) modules [message #158625 is a reply to message #158620] Wed, 26 November 2014 16:22 Go to previous message
Walter Spermann
Messages: 540
Registered: August 2010
Senior Member
Hi,
On 11/26/2014 01:14 PM, Ewald Altmann wrote:
> I've sent a reduced version of my schematic to support@cadsoft.de
> (mailto:support@cadsoft.de).
>
> --
> To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:
> http://www.element14.com/community/message/132971
thanks for sending. Reason was an unnecessary size limitation.
We fixed it but won't include it in V7.2, but in V7.2.1.

While looking at your design I found that you could use bus ports
very well in your case. E.g. instead of ports X_IN0, X_IN1 ... X_IN7
you might create a bus X_IN[0..7] in the module and a bus port for it.
Connect the nets on main level with the bus port via an according bus
(details see manual/help).
Then you could make your modules a lot smaller and clearer because
you don't need so many net ports.

Besides that, thanks for your suggestions which help us improving
EAGLE's hierarchical design capabilities!

Regards,
Walter Spermann

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
Walter Spermann
Software Development
CadSoft Computer GmbH
Pleidolfweg 15
84568 Pleiskirchen
Tel.: 08635/6989-10
www.cadsoft.de
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Traunstein HRB 5573
Geschäftsführer: Mark Whiteling
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
Previous Topic: Installer V7.14
Next Topic: Pinch Zooming on Mac OS X is very slow
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Jun 23 23:58:40 GMT 2017