EAGLE Central Forums
Where the CadSoft EAGLE community meets.

Home » CadSoft Support Forums » eagle.userchat.eng » New Licenses and Enhanced Standard License
New Licenses and Enhanced Standard License [message #122061] Wed, 03 February 2010 09:49 Go to next message
James Morrison

Hello everyone,

In a list of bug fixes that were addressed in the latest beta (5.7.1) Klaus dropped some bombs that have to do with licensing of EAGLE. The deserve much more press then just another line in a list.

Standard License Enhancement

A standard license will now allow for 6-layers. Much needed for professional design if BGA's involved and for other applications too. Great news!

Freemium License

Here's what is stated in the 5.7.1 help file...

The Freemium edition is available only after registration on http://www.newark.com/eagle-freemium-tmp and has the following limitations:

• board area limited to 100x80mm (4x3.2inch), which corresponds to half of a Eurocard
  • only four routing layers (Top, Route2, Route15 and Bottom)
  • a schematic can consist of only four sheets
  • a Freemium license is limited to one single user and computer, and requires an active connection to the Internet in order to work; it expires 60 days after installation

So some interesting developments. The freemium will definitely help professionals who want to use it as a real tool to evaluate the capabilities of EAGLE to a great extent.

Cheers,

James.

James Morrison ~~~ Stratford Digital

Specializing in CadSoft EAGLE
* Online Sales to North America
* Electronic Design Services

Take advantage of v7 License Promotion right now at http://www.eaglecentral.ca
Re: New Licenses and Enhanced Standard License [message #122065 is a reply to message #122061] Wed, 03 February 2010 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olin
James Morrison wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 09:49

So some interesting developments. The freemium will definitely help professionals who want to use it as a real tool to evaluate the capabilities of EAGLE to a great extent.

There are two purposes to providing free versions of software.

One is for cheap people who would never get a real license anyway to use the software. The advantage is that they get used to the package, spread the word, and maybe cause it to be bought for real by others or later when they are in a different situation. Students are a good example of this. Hobbyists a little too.

The other purpose is to allow real professionals to evaluate the software before deciding to buy it. They will spend real money on some software like Eagle, the only question being which one.

It seems to me that the freemium license serves neither of these purposes. For the first purpose, you provide a limited version for free indefinitely. It can do enough so that most student and hobby projects are possible, but not enough so that a professional would be satisfied with it and not buy the full version. For professional evaluation, you want the full featured version, but limited in time. They are evaluating the features, so deliberately making your package look less capable by limiting the features is a bad idea. You don't want to let them use it for free indefinitely, so you put a time limit on it. Having it require a web connection for use is a little onerous, but not too bad. The web connection makes it easier to enforce the time limit, but that can be done by providing a one off license file with a expiration date too. Such a license would be automatically generated and given out only once per CPU ID or MAC address, or something.

Just my two cents. I don't really care because I have had 3 full professional licences for a long time (and caused at least 2 customers to buy full Eagle licenses too) and intend to continue upgrading. I have recently been evaluating other software having nothing to do with electronics, so know what different evaluation licenses feel like. Let me really beat on it for 30 or 60 days. If I like it I have no problem paying for it, but I'm definitely not going to pay for unseen features. It's like saying "buy this box of great stuff, but you can only look at the top layer before forking over the money".
Re: New Licenses and Enhanced Standard License [message #122066 is a reply to message #122065] Wed, 03 February 2010 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Morrison

Olin wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 10:31
James Morrison wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 09:49

There are two purposes to providing free versions of software.

One is for cheap people who would never get a real license anyway to use the software. The advantage is that they get used to the package, spread the word, and maybe cause it to be bought for real by others or later when they are in a different situation. Students are a good example of this. Hobbyists a little too.

Agreed

Quote:
The other purpose is to allow real professionals to evaluate the software before deciding to buy it. They will spend real money on some software like Eagle, the only question being which one.

Agreed.

Quote:

It seems to me that the freemium license serves neither of these purposes. For the first purpose, you provide a limited version for free indefinitely. It can do enough so that most student and hobby projects are possible, but not enough so that a professional would be satisfied with it and not buy the full version. For professional evaluation, you want the full featured version, but limited in time. They are evaluating the features, so deliberately making your package look less capable by limiting the features is a bad idea. You don't want to let them use it for free indefinitely, so you put a time limit on it. Having it require a web connection for use is a little onerous, but not too bad. The web connection makes it easier to enforce the time limit, but that can be done by providing a one off license file with a expiration date too. Such a license would be automatically generated and given out only once per CPU ID or MAC address, or something.

I agree it's not perfect. But it's better than what was available and allows more evaluation. CadSoft used to offer a 30-day money-back guarantee which I assume was to adress this issue. You could play with the freeware license and then buy a commercial license. If you weren't satisfied with what you got then you could get your money back. But I don't see that on their website now. so I'm not sure if that is still available. I'll check into it....

What I like about the current licenses it that there is no mechanism to limit it in time. Other software has been plagued by that where you buy an expensive license but it requires pinging the corporate server. If the corporation goes bust then you're stuck with a dead license. With EAGLE (at least currently) that can't happen. If you have a freemium license then you already knew it was going to expire so it's not necessarily a huge shock.

Cheers,

James.

Re: New Licenses and Enhanced Standard License [message #122067 is a reply to message #122065] Wed, 03 February 2010 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Travis G
I agree with Olin...

I also think you would benefit from considerably lower student licenses.
If you can hook the student doing a complicated senior project, you are
more likely to keep that student, and for them to upgrade in a few years
if they stick with electronics.

It's the same reason HP provides multimeter, oscilloscopes, etc. to
universities dirt cheap. They know students are more likely to purchase
HP equipment in the future.
Re: New Licenses and Enhanced Standard License [message #122069 is a reply to message #122067] Wed, 03 February 2010 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Morrison

Travis G wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 10:45
I agree with Olin...

I also think you would benefit from considerably lower student licenses.
If you can hook the student doing a complicated senior project, you are
more likely to keep that student, and for them to upgrade in a few years
if they stick with electronics.

It's the same reason HP provides multimeter, oscilloscopes, etc. to
universities dirt cheap. They know students are more likely to purchase
HP equipment in the future.

Hi Travis,

Are you aware that there are lower student prices? See

EAGLE License Overview

They maybe aren't as low as you'd like but there are significant discounts.

CadSoft does have a policy (currently) that these sorts of discounts only apply to licenses that have Schematic+Layout+Auto-Router. Many students wouldn't need the Auto-Router so they could maybe save a bit more without being forced to get that module. However, I can understand CadSoft's policy too because that adds overhead to a license that already has much lower margins. Maybe if things get more automated then they could allow student discounts without this restriction????

Cheers,

James.

Re: New Licenses and Enhanced Standard License [message #122074 is a reply to message #122066] Wed, 03 February 2010 17:11 Go to previous message
Olin
James Morrison wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 10:40

What I like about the current licenses it that there is no mechanism to limit it in time. Other software has been plagued by that where you buy an expensive license but it requires pinging the corporate server. If the corporation goes bust then you're stuck with a dead license. With EAGLE (at least currently) that can't happen.

I totally agree and wasn't suggesting that this should change. Once I pay the full amount, I should be allowed to use at least that version indefinitely without requiring that my internet connection, their server, and their company are all up and running.
Previous Topic: mechanical layer in eagle layout
Next Topic: Keeping revision history?
Goto Forum: